During the third day of the Tokyo Game Show, some interesting bits of information on Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain and the FOX Engine was revealed. Credit goes to JunkerHQ for the translations.
On Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain:
- Kojima once again talked about the themes of Metal Gear Solid V: Race, conflict, the cycle of revenge, and war. “Snake and Kaz are hungry for revenge, Ocelot is more neutral.”
- The buddy system (taking Quiet or DD the wolfdog with you) is optional, you can play the game alone.
- You’ll be able to accept new missions without going back to Mother Base.
- The sneaking suit is made of high-strength aramid fibers and has sound absorbing boots.
- You will be able to develop weather modification technology.
- A while ago, Kojima supposedly said he brought back a character he killed before. Now he clarified that he meant ‘a character killed off during planning’. So not a character that was dead in the story, but one that wasn’t in the story before.
- If you clear Ground Zeroes you’ll get something ‘really cool’ in The Phantom Pain.
- Kojima: ‘The Phantom Pain is nearing completion after 5 years.’ He said he wants it to stand up to the best in the world. It is the game he wanted to make 27 years ago.
On the Fox Engine:
- The Fox Engine has facilitated multiplatform development. It also reduced development costs by 1/5.
- The engine’s editor lets the level designers do about 80% of their work by themselves. They can now do things without having to ask programmers.
During the Fox Engine discussion they played a video showing how quick and easy it is to design an environment for the game.
One more thing: The prosthetic arm on display at TGS will be released somehow, but they aren’t sure how yet; maybe it will be part of a limited edition.
There’s one day of TGS left, and hopefully some more interesting new information as well.
Source: JunkerHQ Twitter