To celebrate the five year anniversary of the PlayStation 4 in Japan, Famitsu published a list of the 50 best selling physical games on the system by February 3rd. At number six, with a total of 442,032 copies sold, is Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (keep in mind this is only the PS4 version of the game). To give you a better idea of how the game performed compared to other titles, the top 10 is as follows:
1. Monster Hunter World (1,963,522)
2. Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age (1,368,698)
3. Final Fantasy XV (1,036,879)
4. Kingdom Hearts III (722,201)
5. Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 (499,765)
6. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (442,032)
7. NieR: Automata (407,637)
8. Knack (400,888)
9. Persona 5 (399,213)
10. Call of Duty: WWII (387,498)
The game was released in Japan on September 2nd of 2015, nearly 3,5 years ago. It was 2015’s best selling PS4 game in Japan, as we can tell from a similar article Famitsu published on the system’s second anniversary.
Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain is the only Metal Gear game on the system to make the top 50.
Hideo Kojima at the launch of MGSV in Japan
Source: Famitsu, via Reddit