Last week, Geoff Keighley hosted The Game Awards 2015. One of the most talked about moments of the show was the fact that Hideo Kojima was absent, despite Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain winning two awards, and Keighley announcing publicly on stage that the reason for this was that Konami’s lawyers hadn’t allowed him to go. A move Keighley described as ‘inconceivable’.
Today, Geoff Keighley held an AMA (Ask Me Anything) session on Reddit, where everyone could ask him questions about The Game Awards. Naturally, a lot of questions were about Kojima’s absence, and whether Keighley had any inside information on Kojima and The Phantom Pain, given the fact that he knows the famous game designer personally. Check out the questions and their answers regarding Kojima and MGSV below.
– Geoff, why we’re others allowed to represent MGS5 but not Kojima?
I’m not sure, that’s a question better asked to Konami.
– Why did you post so many tweets about Kojima just a couple of hours before TGA, even though you knew he did not travel? A flight from Japan to LA takes a bit of time.
I wanted him to know that we were thinking of him. I was trying to do all I could to make him feel connected to the show, even if he couldn’t be with us physically in LA. Heartbreaking situation.
– Was Kojima really watching the show? And did you talk with him after the show?
Yes he was watching it live in Tokyo with friends. He tweeted a bit during the show.
– What led to your decision to announce the reason Kojima was unable to go? Has Konami contacted you about it? Has Kojima? And were there any repercussions for it?
It just broke my heart that he couldn’t be with us – something had to be said. I didn’t tell anyone on the show team what I was going to say and it wasn’t rehearsed.
– How were you informed about the Kojima situation? Did they not give advance notice about him being prohibited? I’m curious what those communications were beyond what you told us on the live feed.
We found out in advance, but there was an ongoing dialogue for quite a while. Hideo did watch the show in Tokyo and enjoyed it -just wish he could have been with us.
– Hi Geoff, is it true Donny Burke asked to perform Sins Of The Father at the TGAs, and what we’re your reasons for having Stefanie sing Quiet’s Theme instead?
Yeah Donna was there and helping Stefanie. Loved having her join us too!
– Geoff, one simple question regarding The Phantom Pain.. Is it over yet?
I don’t know. A few years ago Kojima drew me a little timeline on a scrap of napkin to explain The Phantom Pain’s timeline and how Ground Zeroes would fit into it at the beginning. But he never talked about the other side of the timeline…then he ripped up the paper 🙂
– What are you hiding in relation to Kojima and Chapter 3? Spit it out!
Not hiding anything in that regard, but Kojima does love to surprise us (including me)!
Source: Reddit AMA